Wednesday, May 12, 2010

You Can Take the Boy Out of Texas



You see it above - we are first time recipients of "the drink order." Evidently, above all else, Americans abroad crave drinks from home. I am not sure if all posts do this, but here in Santo Domingo, twice (I think it's twice) per year you can look at a long list of things you might want to drink and order cases at US prices.

I hadn't planned to order drinks, but then I was in the AERA store one day and decided to browse through the list. That is when I saw the Dr. Pepper. Sodas are bad for you. I am the occasional Diet Coke drinker, but we very rarely buy sodas. But, Jeremy, born and raised in Texas, loves Dr. Pepper. I decided that he works so hard he should have this extra special treat from home. So, I ordered five cases.


So, now we have 118 cans of Dr. Pepper. It would have been 120, but two of the cans busted open in transport, so they replaced it with two cans of Diet Coke at my request. It may be an interesting study in consumption. I wonder what it will feel like to arrive at the end of 118 cans of Dr. Pepper and think, "I have consumed 118 cans of Dr. Pepper." Or, worse, "I have just added an additional 472 teaspoons of sugar to my life." Nice.

6 comments:

  1. Is that all the sugar that's in 118 cans? Humm sounds much better than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bringing 10 cases of pop with me to post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that consumption thought when Amazon sent me one 10-pound box of pasta instead of 10 1-pound boxes. I remembered the days I opened the box, and finished it, thinking "So that's how long it takes me to eat 10 pounds of pasta."

    ReplyDelete
  4. how unusual; drinks have never been the thing I crave when abroad. But I hope Jeremy enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally shipping Big Red to post in Malawi. It will be consumed at Christmas with homemade tamales, family tradition! I tried to order Big Red when in Jakarta and ended up with Red Cream Soda which is NOT Big Red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is silly, because living in Toronto is fantastic and took no adjustment whatsoever...but I'm originally from Oklahoma. Missing Dr. Pepper (and real Mexican food) has turned into an embarrassingly big deal!

    ReplyDelete