Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where the Heart Is

My teenage neighbor - an FS child - has asked to videotape me for her theater project. I have apparently now reached the age where I can be considered an adult by high schoolers and therefore worth "interviewing." I'm not sure what this means considering I think she thought I was about eight years younger than I am, but anyway that's what's happening.

Tonight was the big interview. One of the questions was, "If you could have the perfect evening out what would it be?" Amazing - no matter where I am in the world - the answer is infinitely easy. Beer, chips, queso, tacos, live music, outside.

Life is picking up in pace here. We're feeling settled. We're both working. We have a great network of super cool friends. The boys love Vilma and are speaking killer Spanish. We are in love with our life. But…well, it's not really a "but," maybe more of an "and" my greatest moments lie in Texas food. In the end, even if for just a night, nothing will ever top my Austin comfort foods paired with the perfect bliss of rock-a-billy, hill country breezes and summer shooting stars. Maybe this is me beginning my R&R countdown.

6 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blog, I end up missing Austin. Some of my fondest memories in Austin are hanging out on town lake; heading to the Dell Diamond for some minor league baseball or eating at Guero's or the saltlick. Great place. Hopefully your R&R will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you already know about this site but have you checked out Homesicktexan.blogspot.com? She has tons of recipes for great Texan food. While she does do some out there stuff, Mexican hotdogs with pineapple salsa and chipotle mayo??, she also has good recipes for puffy tacos, Ninfa's green sauce, barracho beans, even taste-alike Owen's breakfast sausage. She lives in New York so she doesn't assume that you have rotel in your pantry.

    Gotta go put rotel and pace on the list for consumables! In less than 2 months I will be sitting on the back deck at Hula Hut enjoying a margarita. I will drink one for you! Tubular Tacos here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Chuy's has branched out so it's no longer just in Austin, but I have some great memories from eating there. And Trudy's also....I miss Trudy's in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - I hadn't heard of that blog - I will check it out! I too will be back that way in less than two months. I am going to have to work on a restaurant schedule.

    Bryn - yes, Trudy's - mmmmmm!! I am also a Maudie's fan...and Chuy's of course...Guerro's...Manuel's...well, really, I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! We actually had a big Texas Fest last weekend. They even had a rib competition.

    But that's an aside...I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog and hope you're getting to put some of that congen knowledge to use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I linked to you today:

    http://bit.ly/dtqaaf

    Hope all is going well with your new job!

    ReplyDelete