Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mango Season in Progress

So, I can't yet give a description of the taste of the perfect mangoes that are hanging from trees all over Santo Domingo, but with mango season well on it's way I can give you a few shots of how they look from this end of mango season. These photos are from the park behind our house.

I imagine myself a bit like the characters in those movies based on Jane Austen novels. Casually skipping along, plucking a piece of fruit from the tree as I giggle and my young, Hugh Grant-like beau grabs my hat and runs off laughing as a take a big bite of my newly plucked fruit before casually throwing it on the ground and running after him because, hey, there is a ton of this fruit around here.

Except, I guess one can't eat mangoes like apples....and I'm no Victorian sweetheart, but still - one
can let the mind wander with all this tropical fruit around. I hear something similar happened to the Conquistadors.









4 comments:

  1. gorgeous! I'm not sure I've ever noticed a mango tree...love how they hang down. Enjoy some for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. They're just begging to be picked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

    Here is the link:

    http://bit.ly/9eiR0S

    (If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a second there, I thought that first shot was of the bottom of a breakfast taco, from underneath a glass table. See what I mean?
    --Matt

    ReplyDelete