Monday, April 12, 2010

Aguacate!




I'm afraid fabulous aguacate (avocado) season may be winding down. They're getting slightly smaller and going up in price. One massive avocado that would comfortably feed four used to cost 30-35 pesos (that's about $1, but more like 50 cents in true value) now costs 50 pesos. I thought that I had written about avocados before, but looking back, I think I have only mentioned them. I buy avocados on the street. Sometimes I buy them from this lady down the street who has a permanent cart, but recently I have shifted to buying them from a partially blind man who sells them from a box. Lately he has a woman with him. I think she may be his wife.


There's something about the avocados here. They're huge. The variety that is often sold as "gourmet" at home. They are a little fruitier than the avocados I grew up with, almost juicy. This was a little strange at first, but we quickly got used to it. More so than the Haas variety that we're used to in the States, I think they need to be jazzed up with a bit of salt, pepper and lime. But, not much. They are incredibly delicious. You do have to buy them significantly softer than the Haas variety for them to be ripe. And, surprisingly, you can buy one that is completely ripe on one end and hard as a rock on the other. When we first got here I would just pretty much take whichever one I was handed, now I'm a bit more picky. But, it's a science and one I will need at least one more avocado season to master I'm sure.


One of my favorite things is watching the avocado sellers with their plastic bins atop their heads, balanced with ease from centuries of tradition, winding their way through apartment complexes, "'Cate! 'Cate! 'Cate! Aguacate!!" It was one of the first things my boys learned in Spanish. I loved to hear them running through the house hocking their goods and calling out to their imaginary friends.


Word is now that aguacate season is wrapping up we're moving into mango season and, hey, I'm not gonna' fight that! I wonder how I will ever manage to live in a country where fresh tropical fruits and veggies don't spill over (literally) onto my doorstep. Well, that's better left to bidding season I'm sure. For now, I'm going to plot how I can make the best of my last few weeks of 'cate, 'cate, aguacate…


PS In exciting news, my loud, crazy neighbors moved out and they have a huge mango tree that is sagging under the weight of its quickly ripening fruit. I know that fruit is just begging to fall in my yard. And, best of all worlds - according to the rumor mill the Embassy is looking to procure that house for an Embassy family. I see smoothies in my future : ).

6 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO jealous of the avocados! Those big ones are different, you're right, but still great! And since my husband doesn't like the "differentness," more for me.
    Oh, the things you can do with mangoes, though. Do you have an ice cream maker? Mango sherbet would be awesome! As would the smoothies you've already mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum, I love this post! I don't think I experienced aguacate season when I lived in the DR but I vividly remember mango season in Niger...suddenly they were everywhere, but like the non-foody idiot that i was, I didn't realize they would soon disappear and didn't endulge as much as I should have. Luckily I wised up by the second year. Enjoy, and I hope you get nice new FS neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a mango tree in Caracas...well, a shared tree, as we could only live in apartments, but anyone could pick from it. Hope you get neighbors that like to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM. I am constantly on the lookout for posts with tons of available fresh produce, so this blog entry is just making my mouth water and making me hope places like this are on our bidlist this summer!

    Can't IMAGINE living somewhere with an actual Mango Season! A whole *season*! Just for mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the fruit here is amazing! Just wait til my pineapple blog post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This photo reminds me of the beautiful mexicali avocado tree we used to have when we lived in LA.

    ReplyDelete