Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Water for thought...

Our four-year-old had his first international dentist visit last Friday. Earlier in our time here I had wondered a little about fluoride. We don't drink the tap water. Bottled water doesn't have fluoride. I had thought, "Is this going to be a problem for my kids? Surely there isn't a worldwide history of FS kids having bad teeth." I kept thinking about it, but figured I probably shouldn't be concerned. The teeth report is good - no cavities, but the dentist recommended sealants. No problem. And, she did talk to us about fluoride. Evidently, the thing to do is buy a fluoride rinse. Seems all the dentally informed Dominican parents do this for their kids. Who woulda' thought? So, here's question for you other FS parents out there - What's the scoop on water, fluoride and your kids' teeth?

6 comments:

  1. At a lot of posts they recommend that you give the kids fluoride tablets. You would need to talk to the folk in Med about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Shannon said, the tablets generally are the recommended thing. I never gave them to Laura in Port of Spain -- we were there from the time she was 6 until she was 8 -- but might give them to Owen depending on where we are the next few years. I'd talk to your health unit and do some research on your own. If you have a dentist in Austin, it's worth getting his/her opinion on it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the kids...I want fluoride tablets/rinse for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny. I asked my local ped about that bec we use bottled water in our 1924 house due to lead pipes, and she downplayed the need. But I think I need to do some more research; thanks for reminding me. A fluoride rinse- who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been told to do a fluoride rinse with our kids. It won't hurt them at all, only help. ACT has a kids mouthwash that has fluoride in it and my kids beg for it!! I think they have several flavors also...

    ReplyDelete