Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My tacos. My home. My soul.

So it has just dawned on me that some of you may think I am exaggerating when I talk about tacos. That, you know, they're just some crunchy things with meat…or something. Oh, oh, oh they are so not that. Tacos and coffee are Austin. And Austin tacos are like nothing you have ever had - perfect for their simplicity, their Austiness. It's a thing you feel. There are moments in Austin when you're sitting outside, the air that perfect warm, your nose is probably itching because it's always allergy season, and you're drinking your café con leche and eating a potato, egg and cheese and you just know life couldn't get any better.

Today this absolutely perfect article appeared in the New York Times. I was transported…and hungry…and more than a little nostalgic. Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. We had bacon and egg tacos last night for dinner!! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Friday, and that means that the Fourth Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

    Here is the link:

    http://bit.ly/9J6NBQ

    (If I quoted your text and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from SA and I totally get the missing tacos. Thank goodness I discovered the Homesick Texan blog (good Tex-Mex recipes) and my mom is willing to go to HEB and send me the spices I need to keep my kitchen stocked while overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't have read this post - it makes me miss Austin! Glad to see there are other Texas ex-pat bloggers out there! My family is centered in Austin, various tiny towns in the hill country and Sweeny (a tiny town SW of Houston). And you're absolutely right about Austin and taco culture. I used to live on 26th street next door to Torchy's and used to wake up, smell the restaurant from my bedroom, then walk across the street for some breakfast tacos.

    ReplyDelete