Monday, March 1, 2010

Jugo de China


There was a point in my life, I clearly remember, when I considered fresh squeezed orange juice to be a luxury. That was probably way back four months ago when oranges cost me around $2 per pound and were only good for a brief period between, I don't know, January and April. Actually, I can't remember how much oranges used to cost me. I wonder what that means? But, I do remember that two good-sized Valencias yielded one small juice glass of product - a tragedy in vitamin C really.

Last summer I bought my husband a small juicer because, after visiting a friend's in-laws in Utah and having fresh-squeezed OJ for breakfast every morning, I got this crazy idea that providing him with this liquid gold would be a very special way to tell him how much I love him. He was happy with the juicer and religiously juiced himself a big glass of OJ every morning (my thoughtfulness did not include actual labor on my part). However, after about a month I realized we were spending four times as much on OJ and I nixed the juicer-every-day calendar for the very-special-day system. He relented. He had no choice of course. An unfortunate fallout of our new FS life is that I do all the shopping - it's so 1950s.

Then, then, then we moved to a tropical paradise where oranges are perfect in every way, year round and only cost about $2 per 10 lb bag (yes, that's right, 20 cents per pound)! I just wish people from home could really know what it's like to have fresh juice every single morning. Am I right that most Americans do not drink fresh-squeezed juice every morning? It's something special. You save it for that graduation brunch or Valentine's breakfast in bed - and even then you buy juice that someone else has freshly squeezed. Or, maybe I have just lived years in juice ignorance while all of my loved ones were happily juicing away their dollars, but not me - we were carton OJ drinkers.


Either way - here, now we drink fresh OJ and it is one of those things that I so much do not know how I will ever do without. We are going home to Austin for R&R in July and I am already planning how much I will have to work out so I can eat breakfast tacos, guilt-free every morning - my mom lives within walking distance from Taco Shack so, you know, could be a new running route. But anyway, for all the wonderfully perfect food moments I will have in Austin, I know that every morning I will have this empty little place in my heart for the sweet nectar that coulda' been.


For you edification - Dominicans call orange juice jugo de china. In most of the Spanish speaking world, it's jugo de naranja and in Spain zumo de naranja. I thought this was strange and had very little luck getting to the bottom of it until I found this article. Now, I didn't do anything to try to verify this information and it could be completely false, but it looks good to me so I plan to perpetuate it as fact when the topic comes up. If you come across a better explanation please feel free to let me know.

3 comments:

  1. We were hoping to get yummy oranges for cheap here, but it has yet to happen.....I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jut found your blog. Your posts make me hungry. yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you all should just bid DR next time, huh? Glad you're enjoying the blog - thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete