Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fourteen months later - Madagascar!


What a break that was, huh?! Yes, fourteen months ago I was not especially feeling bloggy. In fact, I was feeling rather overwhelmed with the arrival of the end of our first Foreign Service tour. In all honesty, perhaps blogging is exactly what I should have been doing, but I didn’t feel my heart was in it and I just kept feeling like I was running out of things to say. But, as the last several months have left me with a running mental list of blog posts, I figure now is as good a time as any to get back into it.

So, here goes.

But, first things first. What in the world have I been doing for the last 14 months? And, why am I getting back to For Lack of Tacos now?

Well, here it is, the last year in 100 words:

Last beach trips in the Dominican Republic.
Last days of work with Peace Corps.
Saying goodbye to DR friends.
Crazy stuff happening in Santo Domingo.
Pack out.
Mommy/Daddy trip to New York in October.
End of my first-trimester (yep, that’s right – there are 5 of us now…and the dog!).
Oakwood.
Our oldest started kindergarten.
French…November - March.
April – baby girl arrives! Joy!
Minor freak out about moving half-way across the world with a newborn.
Pack out.
Hard times saying goodbye again. Sniff sniff.
Two days in Paris.
Madagascar.
Great welcome.
Hints of feeling a new home beginning here.

So, it’s no haiku, but I think that sums it up.

Now, onto the interesting stuff! We are here – in Madagascar! Madagascar!! This is largely the reason I just can’t resist getting back to writing. This is, quite seriously, like no place else on Earth. And, while For Lack of Tacos has long since stopped being a “food blog” per se, I still love food and holy cow, do they have good food here! If I’m not careful I’m going to be leaving here with two doughy thighs that will look a lot like the baguettes with which I religiously stuff my face.

But, as always, it’s not just about food around here. As you can tell from my summary up there, this transition has been seriously intense. Moving to Santo Domingo was not without its challenges, but moving here, with our two oldest children now 6 and 4 and a brand new (seriously adorable and precious) baby girl in tow has brought me face to face with the question, “Why do we do this again?” And yet, day after day, I see why we do this. No, there still aren’t any tacos stands, but that is still okay.

So, I’m back here. Making grocery lists again. Trying to feed our family. Trying to turn the simplest ingredients into yummy treats and hoping I do it all at least a little gracefully and with at least a tiny bit of humor…and wine. And, I just keep praying we don’t stop finding ways to make it all make sense and learn our lessons – because, you know, it really is a great adventure. Yay!

As always, thanks for reading. Stay tuned…

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, I think I know you. I had no idea you wrote this blog! Pretty sure we were hanging out at the bus stop together at Oakwood. SO glad to hear that everyone made it to Madagascar okay after all the craziness with paperwork and things. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky - yep, that's me. The Foreign Service - such a small world. Hope you all are well!

      Delete
    2. Doing great. Glad to hear things are going well for you too :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back and congrats on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray!! thinkin' of y'all and sending metaphorical ATX tacos to you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love catching up on your life, Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on becoming a family of 5! We started as an FS family with an infant - it's a trip, isn't it!? Looking forward to your Madagascar adventures and insights ~ so glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete