Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Constants




Moms are good for so many things when you’re abroad. Yesterday mine sent me Girl Scout Cookies. That is so mom of her. In fact, I am inclined to think she has sent me Girl Scout Cookies in every foreign country I have ever lived in. I guess not everyone has such a mom. I am lucky. My Mimi (my maternal grandmother) is the same way. Does an excellent job in the category of, “Saw this and thought of you.” It’s the type of nice thing we should all aspire to I think.

Back to Girl Scout Cookies. You know, come to think of it, they’re one of the things that bind us culturally. It might sound like an overstatement, but think about it, have you ever heard anyone say, “I hate Girl Scout Cookies!” We wait every year for their arrival. I wasn’t even a Girl Scout (my Girl Scout Cookie-buying mom wouldn’t let me join even though she had been one…she felt it was exclusionary), but I find the once-a-year treat to be really…nice. A few cookies every year after year, decade after decade, they never, ever change. You can rely on Girl Scout Cookies. They cannot let you down. If you liked them this year, you will like them next year.

The FS life is extremely unpredictable. Makes me super happy to have my constants. And who can’t lose herself in a box of Caramel deLites?

2 comments:

  1. Except why'd they go and change the name? Caramel deLite just doesn't sound as delicious as Samoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna - they didn't actually change it. Find the answer here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scout_cookie

    ReplyDelete