Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy First Birthday FLT!

Sooooo, that was a really long break. I was trying on not-blogging. To be honest, I kind of liked it…but now I miss it.

My original plan had been to do this for a year and then see how I felt about it. I hadn’t even realized it when I sat down to write this post, but tomorrow will my little blog will turn one! Happy Birthday For Lack of Tacos! I feel really good about having had a go at this and sticking with it. Oddly, I appear to have started the blog on the night of the Haiti earthquake! I remember that evening perfectly and remember exactly where I was sitting at the kitchen table when I was overcome with a wave of nausea and vertigo – a common result here in Santo Domingo when the earthquake hit. Wow…

Anyway, I have taken some time off and feel happy to get back to writing. Actually, I didn’t really stop writing – taking time away from FLT gave me time to focus on my family blog and I know the grandparents like that better anyway.

So, for tonight, as I get back into the swing of things I want to say, first of all, may this year bring each of you joy, peace and happiness from all of us displaced Austinites in the For Lack of Tacos family (i.e. me, Jeremy, the niños, the dog). And, in the midst of so much insanity here and at home, perhaps it’s apt to remember a phrase that a few open-minded Dominicans paste on their bumpers, “Todos somos Haitanos” (“We’re all Haitains”). In other words, we’re all in this together. Give. Love. Smile.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. ¡Feliz Cumpleaños! I've been following your blog for a few months (since I found out we were headed to the DR at the end of summer) . . . was wondering if you would be willing to visit with me about pre-school education . . .

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn - I can definitely talk with you about preschool education. Also, I did a Talesmag review of the DR too. I tried to be balanced in my review - we are, obviously, very happy here. I talk about preschool in the review. I don't like to post my email address here - is there a good way for me to contact you?

    ReplyDelete